This app marketing app SEO tip will show you how to get more app downloads (iOS or Android OS) for free by optimizing your app’s title.
Most developers are like artists when it comes to naming their apps. Often, the name is born at the time of the app idea, which may cause developers to become too attached to an app’s original and creative name. However, the original app name itself could have a negative impact on the application’s discoverability. Likewise, when an app’s name is an afterthought, this could also have a negative impact on an app’s discovery as well.
Having reviewed 1000s of iOS and Android OS applications, I have seen the good, the bad and the ugly when it comes to app names. Like the picture above you can distinguish which picture looks better, it’s pretty obvious. Likewise, every application’s title should have an obvious relation to the application’s function. Most consumers don’t take the time to figure out app titles. That is why having an app title that matches your app icon, description and functionality is key. There are always exceptions to this such as branding, but by and large a straight forward title will benefit app developers more times than not.
If you want to increase the chances of app downloads, don’t name your app “Apple” when it’s actually all about oranges. But, there is even more to naming your app beyond basic commonsense, which I have just explained. You’ll also want to take the time to optimize your application’s title to take advantage of SEO keywords.
Currently, the Google search engine gives iTunes App Store links and Google Play App Store links good rankings in their SERP (search engine results page). Take for example the keyword Solitaire. According to the Google AdSense Keyword Planning Tool, the word Solitaire gets approximately 1.5 million searches a month globally. That’s a lot of searches. Doing a quick search in Google for the word “Solitaire” shows 3 of 10 SERP entries were (1) iTunes App Store link and (2) Google Play App Store links.
Notice also how the app store search engine results appear showing RTF or Rich Text Formatting resulting in the app’s rating to be displayed. The app’s star rating shown in the SERP will cause searchers to click on those links more often than other search results that do not have a star rating. A check of the apps that showed in the SERP for the keyword Solitaire showed each app title was also only named Solitaire. Obviously, there is strategy and timing as well when it comes to naming your application.
This tactic is not magic. There is work to be done and no guarantee you will be successful. But, if you aren’t greedy and take your time, you may find that you can discover a decent to great keyword name for your app. One that fits your app’s description and generates a decent amount of global monthly searches. Those global monthly searches are how to get more app downloads for free.
How To Get More App Downloads Step-by-Step
- 1.) Figure out your app’s functionality before determining the name
- 2.) Once you know your apps functionality begin the app naming ideation process
- 3.) App naming ideation should include searching iTunes or Google Play app stores for a unique app name
- 4.) At the same time you are searching app stores you should use the Google AdSense Keyword Tool (link), searching “search volume” for app name suggestions
- 5.) Try different versions of your desired name, while looking at the suggestions provided by the keyword tool, but be sure to pay attention to the “monthly global searches” for your keyword combinations
- 6.) I would recommend you go for smaller global monthly searches, because the larger the amount of searches the harder it will be to rank for the keyword
- 7.) Use your optimized app name keywords for the official app name
A few additional pointers to help you learn how to get more app downloads for free:
- 1.) Write a great app description that is SEO optimized for your keyword app name
- 2.) Provide great customer support and encourage users to rate your app
- 3.) Add a webpage to your app description when applicable
Every developer wants to know how to get more app downloads for free. While this tip is probably not going to get you huge app downloads, it may help you get 10, 20, 30 even 100 extra app downloads a month just by taking time to optimize your application’s name.
Please share your experience with us if you use the “how to get more app downloads” step-by-step instructions. And if you have any questions please leave a comment and I will try to help you as best I can.